Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Conditional Use Permits

When leasing or buying a commercial building it is imperative to know what types of businesses the city will allow there. Normally there are inherently allowed uses - those uses which are under the current zoning ordinances. There are other uses that may be allowed which are outside of the standard zoning uses. These many times require what's called a conditional use permit. An example of this is if someone wants to place an indoor sports facility in a warehouse building. The building probably has inherent warehouse zoning and may allow sports use only through a conditional use permit process. This process and it's eventual approval or not is in the hands of the city council and the planning department. A timely, concise and cohesive proposal helps the city, the planners and the landlord give consent. It is also wise to hire a consultant that has worked with the city on comparable CUP processes. Be prepared for 3 to 6 months to get this CUP approved. This length of time gives rise to the question - how do you keep the landlord and the property tied up during this waiting period? That is another discussion in itself! If we don't chat till then - Happy Thanksgiving - go hug your family, friends and strangers too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mario,
My comment is more of a question - I want to know what you have to say about the waiting period of a CUP and what the best strategy is for holding or signing a lease while waiting for a "possible" approval on a CUP. HELP!